ELPA Member “Association of Liver Patients’ Care” ‘ALPC’ takes part in Egypt’s World Hepatitis Day event
The event was held 2 days prior to the global day (July 28th) on July 26th due to the Egyptian holiday July 28–30, 2014 (feast). It was held at ELRIAH patients waiting hall among patients, guests, kids and employees.
The celebration involved liver patients attending Egyptian Liver Research Institute and Hospital (ELRIAH) for management as well as communities in three rural villages of Decarness district in Mansoura Governorate with their kids.
The day was organized by Prof. Ammal (Alliance Regional Board Member for Eastern Mediterranean) and Prof. Gamal Shiha, Head of Association of liver Patients Care (ALPC) in Dakahlya – Egypt (Prof. of internal medicine – Head of Liver and GI unit – El Mansoura faculty of medicine).
Activities of the Day:
- A play for raising awareness on methods of Hepatitis C transmission, symptoms, the wrong concepts surrounding Hepatitis disease and patients and their influence in the Egyptian public health called “AboEloraf”- means” Father of knowledge”.
The play tells the story of a man claimed knowledge of the facts of the hepatic infection with viruses and how they occur and how to prevent each, but what he says is not always true and produces damn funny and embarrassing situations and find the doctor has come out through the vortex air to save the situation and correct errors
- Fun day for kids with puppet show
- Concert and dancing show
- Competitions and prizes for winners
- Free investigation for HBV and HCV
Staff members of the Epidemiology unit in ELRIAH together with staff members from Community Medicine Research Dept. in National Research Center shared in holding the day activities with the Association of Liver Patients Care (ALPC) in Dakahlya- Egypt who sponsored the day financially.
- 10:00 – 10:15 – Recitation of Holy Quran (Opening)
- 10:15 – 11:00 – Speech of the Egyptian Religious Consultant (Al-Mufti)
- 11:00 – 11:30 – Speech by Prof. Ammal Mokhtar (Head of Epidemiology Unit) and presentation of WHD 2014 video
- 11:30 – 12:30 – Presentation of four awareness Egyptian films for HCV and HBV and playing activities and providing prizes for the winners
- 12:30 – 13:30 – A play called “Abooraf”, consisting of 9 wareness acts for Hepatitis types, symptoms and signs, risky behaviors and risk reduction behaviors)
- 13:30 – 14:30 – Puppet show